Monday 5 September 2011

First Campaigner Writing Challenge

I have just been lucky enough to come across Rachael Harries's blog  Rach Writes.. .  She's just launched the First Campaiger Challenge - and I just can't resist a challenge!

The rules of the challenge:
Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “The door swung open” These four words will be included in the word count.

If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), use the same beginning words and end with the words: "the door swung shut." (also included in the word count)


For those who want an even greater challenge, make your story 200 words EXACTLY!


Why not check out the other entries and vote on your favourite?  Mine is below (I'm #57)... and yes, I managed to hit the 200 words!


'Secrets' by Susie Medwell

The door swung open silently; just far enough for her to see the red stiletto.  New, shiny, with four inch heel.  She edged forward, unable to stop herself.  She didn’t need to see any more, but she had to.


The legs were long.  Longer than hers.  Black stockings stopped short to reveal strong toned thighs.  The straps of the red suspender belt making a vivid statement against the pale flesh.

She realised that she was holding her breath, time frozen for both of them.


Her eyes widened as she took in the satin knickers, her satin knickers stretched taut over strong buttocks.
Something between a gasp of horror and hysterical laughter built up in her throat, threatening to burst out and shatter the brittle air.  She could hear the blood thundering in her ears.  It couldn’t be happening. It couldn’t be true.


The mass of red curls tumbling down the slim back clashed horribly with the scarlet red of the undies and shoes.  That was more of an insult than anything.  Not even matching.  No taste.
The sound of revulsion escaped from her lips.
He spun round in horror;  wig spinning free.
‘Darling! Wait.’
She fled.  The door swung shut.

23 comments:

  1. Hee hee! I would've stayed to assess if he looks better in my stuff than I do. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was awesome! I had to read it twice, just to make sure I understood what I thought I understood!

    At first I thought she was walking in on her boyfriend / husband cheating on her with another woman (who happened to have on her undies - um, gross). But then I realized HE was the other woman!

    Loved: "The mass of red curls tumbling down the slim back clashed horribly with the scarlet red of the undies and shoes. That was more insult than anything. Not even matching. No taste."

    Fab job here - this was a super fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woa! I didn't see that coming! I was thinking that she was catching her husband/lover in the midst of an affair...then you hit me with the one-two...lol. Terrific! ~ Nadja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments - really appreciate the feedback. I've not tried anything like this before but really wanted to come up with a surprise ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the scary part of this, I know someone whose marriage ended this way and she's never gotten over it! good job. I'm #72

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, nice twist. ;) I thought it was an affair at first, too... then wham!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very funny! Love it. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha! I laughed so hard when I got to the end :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha ha! sounds like a benny hill skit =)
    good one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations. Your flash fiction has been chosen to go on to stage two of the competition. There will be a semi-final (stage three) and a final (stage four). Good luck with the next stages. Although I kind of saw the twist coming I still enjoyed it when it arrived! An amusing take on the task.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! It's the first time I have done anything like this so I am delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol oh very cool. Loved the ending...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! That was fabulous! I never saw it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So funny!!

    http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great twist! Loved it!

    Thanks for posting a comment to mine! I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats! You've been shortlisted to move onto the semi-finals. You are one of only 38 out of 384 entries, so this is a big deal. Love your story and good luck going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, that's brilliant news - quite shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's funny. It made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on moving onto the semi-finals! Love this story, it has a great twist and is well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them. Am amazed at getting into the semi-finals - there are so many good entries which I've enjoyed reading. Good luck everyone who has got to the semi's, and commiserations to those that haven't because all the entries were great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi again Susie :D

    I wanted to let you know that I gave your blog the following awards today: The Versatile Blogger, and The Irresistibly Sweet Blogger

    I'm required to notify you, and so, here I am to notify you.

    http://www.kthanna.com/2011/09/awards-writer-challenges-and-timetravel/

    Good luck in the semi finals!!!

    ReplyDelete